List of Important National Highways in India
National Highways (NH) are one of the significant sources of inter-state movements and transportation of passengers and goods. National and state capitals, major ports, rail junctions are all connected by the National Highways. The total length of National Highways as of March 2019, is 132499 Kms. Constituting only 2 percent of the road network, National Highways carry about 40 percent traffic. The article will provide you with a list of major national highways in India as it will help aspirants for the IAS Exam (Prelims, Mains.)
List of Important National Highways in IndiaThe list of major highways in India with their routes is given below:
|NH 1||Delhi-Ambala-Jalandhar-Amritsar-Indo-Pak Border|
|NH 1B||Batote-Doda-Kishtwar-Sinthan pass – Khanabal|
|NH 1C||Domel to Katra|
|NH 2||Delhi-Mathura-Agra-Kanpur-Allahabad-Varanasi-Mohania-Barhi Palsit-Baidyabati-Bara-Calcutta|
|NH 2A||Sikandra to Bhognipur|
|NH 2B||Burdwan – Bolpur road (via Talit, Guskara and Bhedia)|
|NH 4||Junction with National Highways No. 3 near Thane-Pune Belgaum-Hubli-Bangalore-Ranipet-Chennai|
|NH 4B||Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust near Km 109-Palaspe|
|NH 5||Junction with National Highways No. 6 near Baharagora-Cuttack Bhubaneshwar-Visakhapatnam -Vijayawada-Chennai|
|NH 5A||Junction with National Highway No. 5 near Haridaspur-Paradip Port|
|NH 7A||Palayamkottai-Tuticorin Port|
|NH 8A||Ahmedabad-Limbdi-Morvi-Kandla-Mandvi-Vikhari-Kothra-Naliya Narayan Sarovar|
|NH 8C||Chiloda to Sarkhej|
|NH 8E||Somnath to Bhavnagar|
|NH 10||Delhi-Fazilka-Indo Pak Border|
|NH 12||Jabalpur-Bhopal-Khilchipur-Aklera-Jhalawar-Kota-Bundi-Deoli Tonk-Jaipur|
|NH 18||Junction with NH 7 near Kurnool and Nandyal to Cuddapah and Junction with NH 4 near Chittoor|
|NH 20||Pathankot -Mandi|
|NH 21||Junction with National Highway No. 22 near Chandigarh-Ropar-Bilaspur-Mandi-Kullu-Manali|
|NH 22||Ambala to Indo China Border near Shipkila|
|NH 23||Chas-Ranchi-Rourkela-Talcher- Junction with National Highway No. 42|
|NH 24||Delhi- Bareilly-Lucknow|
|NH 27||Allahabad to Mangawan|
|NH 29||Gorakhpur to Varanasi|
|NH 30||Junction with NH 2 near Mohania and Patna to Bakhtiyarpur|
|NH 35||Barasat to Petrapole on India and Bangladesh border|
|NH 39||Numaligarh to Palel and Indo Burma Border|
|NH 47||Salem to Kanyakumari|
|NH 47A||Junction with NH 47 at Kundanoor to Willington Island in Kochi|
|NH 47C||Junction with NH 47 at Kalamassery to Vallarpadam ICTT in Kochi|
|NH 55||Siliguri to Darjeeling|
|NH 56||Lucknow to Varanasi|
|NH 58||Delhi to Mana Pass|
|NH 79||Ajmer-Nasirabad-MP border|
|NH 151||Karimganj – Bangladesh Border|
|NH 152||Patacharkuchi-Bhutan border|
|NH 153||Ledo – Lekhapani – Indo / Myanmar – Border|
|NH 233||The highway starting from India/Nepal border (connecting to Lumbini) via Naugarh, Siddharthnagar, Bansi, Basti, Tanda, Azamgarh and terminating at Varans|
Facts about National Highways in IndiaThere are a few important facts about National Highways of India which are important for UPSC:
- National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) is an autonomous authority to develop, maintain and manage the National Highways of India.
- Central Government has the power to notify any highway as the National Highway and such highway will be specified in the Schedule.
- Ministry of Road Transport and Highways is responsible for the development of National Highways.
- Government launched Bharatmala Project for the development of about 26,000 km length of Economic Corridors, which along with Golden Quadrilateral (GQ) and North-South and East-West (NS-EW) Corridors are expected to carry majority of the Freight Traffic on roads.
- NH 44 is the longest national highway in India, running over 3745 Km from Srinagar to Kanyakumari.
- NH44 which is the longest highway in India was previously known as NH 7
- NH 47A is the shortest highway of India, having a length of 6 Kms.
- There are 228 National Highways in India.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many National Highways are there in India?
There are more than 200 National Highways in India. The routes usually range from North-South & East-West.
What is the longest National Highway in India?
The longest National Highway in India is NH-44. It covers the range from Srinagar to Kanyakumari(North-South Corridor) with a length of 3700km.
What is the first National Highway in India?
The first National Highway in India is NH-1. It links the National capital Delhi to Attari in Punjab near Indo-Pak Border.
- Static GK Capsule PDF free Download [ update ]
- Static GK pdf Wildlife Sanctuaries
- Static GK pdf Power Plants
- Static GK pdf Indian PORTS
- Static GK pdf National Parks
- Static GK Important Country capital
- Static GK International Airports
- Static GK pdf lakes in India
- Static GK All Dams in India Pdf
- Static GK pdf international Organisations
- STATIC GK E BOOK FOR ALL GOVERNMENT EXAM PDF
- Major National Highways in India
- Government Schemes in India
- List Of RBI Governors – Names, Tenure Of Office, Roles & Responsibilities
- List of Neighbouring Countries of India